Drum Competition Rules: July 11 - 15, 2012
POW WOW: Drum Competition Rules
1. Prize money will be awarded to the top four drum groups.
2. Day Money will be distributed amongst those drums that do not place.
3. Registrations will open the Sunday prior to the start of the Competition Pow Wow.
4. Registration deadline is 2:45 pm on Wednesday, there will be no exceptions.
5. Drums must be set up on all five days of the Pow Wow, including the Youth Pow Wow
6. Drums will be judged on all five days of the Pow Wow.
7. Each drum must have a minimum of six singers, and a maximum of 10 drummers. All drummers must be registered.
8. If a drum group registers more than six singers and the extra singers are needed to sing elsewhere for the Indian Village, no points will be deducted.
9. Drum hoping is not allowed during competition.
10. Drum groups suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be disqualified, there will be no exceptions.
11. A sound system will be provided for all drums to utilize. Do not bring your own sound systems.
12. Drum groups will sing appropriate songs for the various categories.
13. No points will be awarded is a drum group sings the wrong song.
14. Drum name or numbers must be visible at all times. It is each drum group's responsibility to make competition names or numbers visible to the judges.
15. Drum roll call is at 2:45 pm, sharp, each day. All singers must be at their drum on time and all group members must be at the drum. Those groups who are on time will be awarded points. The points awarded are as follows:
a. Wednesday July 11, 2012 – 125 Points
b. Thursday July 12, 2012 – 100 Points
c. Friday July 13, 2012 – 75 Points
d. Saturday July 14, 2012 – 50 Points
e. SundayJuly 15, 2012 – 50 Points
16. Drum Judges must excuse themselves from judging if they have a relative competing in drumming that they are to judge.
17. All decisions of the Pow Wow Chairperson and Indian Events Vice – Chair are final.
18. Protests must be brought to the attention of the Pow Wow Chair in order to be heard.